New cycle parking facility on Drury Street

Posted 27 Oct 2009 to News by Sarah Scannell

Check out our new cycle parking facility on Drury Street. I was delighted to lead the project which was officially opened on Thursday 8th October by Councillor Andrew Montague and Dublin City Council’s Cycling Unit. The facility offers indoor cycle parking to cyclists around shops, bars, restaurants and cafés, right in the heart of the city.

DRURYSTREET1
The cycle park is located on the ground floor of Drury Street Car Park. An entire floor of car parking spaces was removed to provide for cyclists. The facility is designed for short-term use so this means anyone from commuters, to tourists, to shoppers can use it.

What’s great about this new facility is that it’s indoors, the cycle parking area is under constant surveillance by CCTV and its completely free to the general public. I’d imagine it will also tie in quite nicely with the Dublin Bikes scheme in that people will be able to cycle into town, lock their bikes up in a secure indoor facility in the centre of the city and then use the dublinbikes to get around town. There are two stations close by, one around the corner on Exchequer Street and another one up towards St. Stephen’s Green on Chatham Street.

DRURYSTREET2
The City’s Cycling Officer, Ciarán Fallon says “It’s great for cyclists and it’s great for shops and local businesses. There used to be 16 car parking spaces in the cycle parking area, now there’s 192 spaces to park your bike. That’s 12 times as many shoppers only now is they’ll be arriving on 2 wheels instead of 4!”

View Drury Street Cycle Parking in a larger map

70 Comments

Muireann

- June 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm

hi
I had heard about this previously, but only investigating it now. Just got a lovely new bike through bike to work scheme, which I am very fond of, is this bike park area definitely safe, have there been any thefts?

Michelle

- July 17, 2012 at 11:44 am

As far as i know no theft. I have left it at the car park many times, and have not seen signs of theft. I do however take one wheel off and lock to other wheel and frame ..just in case.

Cyril Butler

- July 22, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Very good development. I just got a new bike. I will be using this whenever I cycle into town. Well done.

Bren

- August 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm

As someone asked in an earlier post, what are the opening times for the park-rite bike facility?
The city has just got two phone apps for bus routes and times. Could we not have one for bicycle parking spaces, bike repair shops, Dublin Bike stations etc etc.

Olive

- August 22, 2012 at 9:28 am

I was delighted to hear about the DCC parking facility for bikes at Drury St. I parked there several times but stopped when someone tampered with my lock.The bike was not stolen but I couldn’t use the lock again as it had been damaged.That was in spite of a so-called security presence and CCTV cameras.As a result of that experience I think my bike is safer on the street.

Kevin

- September 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Can we have a bit less of informing all and sundry about this fabulous free facility. I’m sure any keen cyclist will get to hear about it sooner or later. Remember you will look back on this time with fondness; parking always available, free dry and secure!

anthony

- September 6, 2012 at 9:16 am

We’ve got to ensure the word is out and it’s used Kevin. 🙂 Glad you’re enjoying it.

Anonymous

- January 19, 2013 at 9:59 am

[…] parking pour vélo de Drury Street permet de garer sa bicyclette dans un endroit surveillé et couvert en plein centre […]

[…] little known treat hidden away on Drury St. A free indoor car park for cyclists, provided by Dublin City Council. Given the inordinately high number of bike thefts in Dublin, the place is a god send. It’s […]

Andrew

- April 24, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Today, is the first day I’ve heard of this facility!(24/4/13) Excellent idea and well done to those responsible.
Perhaps more publicity required on this. I’ll tell everyone I know anyway.
Thanks again.

John

- May 26, 2013 at 10:19 pm

Just heard about this place today. Fantastic idea. Should be highlighted to all.

Paul

- June 29, 2013 at 7:32 am

A word of warning about parking a bike here. I’ve been using the park for a few years now without problems. However, on Wed 26th, i locked my “LOOK” bike there at 1215 PM and it was stolen later on that day by some-one who used a boltcutters to snip the lock. When I reported it to the security people there, they were able to give me my lock and cycle helmet. The S/O on duty late on Wed found a suspected bike thief “working” on some-one else’s bike and then noticed my items lying amongst the bikes. I advise using a shackle-lock between bike and rack.

MairéadC

- July 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Has anyone used the bike parking in Q Park on Marlborough St?

Gavin

- July 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm

When I was in there earlier this week another cyclist told me someone had just had their bike stolen – more reason to double-lock. Is there CCTV?

[…] DublinCityCycling.ie This entry was posted in Misc and tagged We Don't Normally Do This by Bodger. Bookmark […]

David

- August 6, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I like the concept of these but why cant there be big chains etc attached to the bars already that you can put around your bike. Then you just need to bring a U Lock with you to secure your bike.
People don’t use secure bike locks because a good hard to cut one is too heavy and you will need 2 or 3 of them…

Gary

- December 4, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Just want to add hat my Trek Road Bike was taken from there this evening:-(

I used my strong lock on it but it didn’t seem to make a difference.

I knew I was taking a risk cycling into town, but thought parking indoors would be safer.

Won’t be making that mistake again (whenever I get around to getting a new bike).

Eimear

- March 29, 2016 at 12:00 am

Had my bike stolen from here today. (28/03/16) Bike was locked to the railing along with a friends bike, lock was cut and one bike stolen. In hindsight parking a bike and securely locking it on the street in view of passers by is a safer bet in my opinion.

David Timoney

- July 8, 2016 at 2:29 pm

Hi,

Re bike theft, I`d be interested to know what types of locks are being cut. Eimear could you tell me what type of lock you had?

We in the Dublin Cycling Campaign have done a lot of research on this and if you have a high end u lock your bike will generally not be stolen.
See

Urban Bike Guy

- August 9, 2016 at 11:58 am

I think if you have someone with the tools desperate enough then they’ll get through your lock. Not many carrying an angle grinder around with them though (o;
I use a fairly high end U lock with an extension cable for my front tire. Luckily I’ve never had my bike stolen.